When St. Philip Lutheran Church was formed in 1893, the first pastor had a love of education and was concerned with the education of God's Little Lambs. This first school was closed during the year of that the Great Depression struck.
In September 1937, St. Philip Lutheran Church called Dr. Milton E. Marten to reopen the Parish school. He became its teaching principal, with a class of 23 first and second graders. The students met in a classroom in the church building. Each year, more students were applying and being accepted into the school and more classes were added to the school. By 1942, St. Philip Lutheran had an accredited school with 75 students in all grades from kindergarten through 8th grade.
In 1950, the church acquired property adjacent to the church. This property would be used to build a new Parish Activities Building, housing the classrooms and students. This building was completed and dedicated in 1953. By 1962, the school's enrollment included 225 students, being led by seven teachers.
During the celebration of its 50th year of formal Christian education, St. Philip Lutheran agreed to expand its horizons by adding yet another facet to our ministry, that of the Preschool / Child Care Center. The doors of the Preschool / Child Care Center opened in 1986.
It has been through the blessings of God, the vision of former leaders, and the sacrifice of many people that St. Philip Lutheran was begun. Since 1937, it has been a joy to see the various ministries continue and become a foundation in our neighborhood. It is our prayer that God will continue to bless our ministry and those that we meet in the future.